Sellingantiques.co.uk Logo
 1,144 visitors today 0 antiques added today
Relevant Categories
antique photo
Choose an antique category
FOR SALE
ITEM # 
SA757812

Antique Victorian Sterling Silver Gilt And Cut Crystal Claret Jug 1873 19th C

Price

£2,150 | $2,996 USD | €2,506 EUR
Item Number: SA757812
Date of manufacture: 1870
Current Status: For sale
Seller: Regent Antiques
This antique has been viewed 19 times in the past month with the most views from France.

Description

This is a wonderful Antique Victorian sterling silver-gilt mounted claret jug, with makers mark for W&G Sissons and hallmarks for Sheffield 1873.

The silver-gilt mounted claret jug, beautifully chased and etched with strapwork and fruiting vine, the hinged cover with a pierced thumbpiece, it features a wonderful scroll cast silver handle and an elegant clear cut crystal body with magnificent vine and strapwork decoration and a star-cut flat base.

The lid is impressed with full hallmarks.

There is no mistaking its unique quality and design, which is sure to make it a treasured piece by any discerning collector.

Condition:
In excellent condition with no dings, dents or signs of repair.
Please see photos for confirmation.

Dimensions in cm:
Height 26 x Width 18 x Depth 13

Dimensions in inches:
Height 10.2 x Width 7.1 x Depth 5.1

Claret Jug - is used to describe a table decanter intended for red wine, today also used as a sport's trophy.

W&G Sissons
The firm was established in Sheffield in 1786 as Roberts, Cadman & Co. The firm was managed by Samuel Roberts Jr. (son of Samuel Roberts Sr.) and George Cadman (who served his apprenticeship under Samuel Roberts Sr.). A "sleeping" partner (only financial, until c. 1794) was the Rev. Benjamin Naylor.
They were active as tableware manufacturers in Eyre Street, Sheffield, in the premises owned by Samuel Roberts Sr.
The partnership, with the addition of George Ingall (1816), lasted until 1826 when was succeeded by S. Roberts, Smith & Co. The partners of the new firm were Samuel Roberts Jr., his nephew Evan Smith, his cousin's son, Sidney Roberts and William Sissons.
In 1833 the partners were Samuel Roberts, Evan Smith and William Sissons. The firm Smith, Sissons & Co., which succeeded following the retirement of Samuel Roberts in 1848, was a partnership of Evan Smith and William Sissons Sr. lasting until 1858.
The business was continued by William Sissons Jr. and George Sissons under the style W & G Sissons, entering their first mark as Henry Smith in London Assay Office in 1864 (8 Duke Street, Adelphi, WC). Other marks were entered in London in 1866 by William Sisson and George Sissons (9 Eyre Street, Sheffield and 8 Duke Street) and in 1887 by Walter Sissons and Charles Sissons (75/77 St. Mary's Road, Sheffield and later on their London Showrooms at 34 Southampton Road and 3 Charterhouse Street, Holborn Circus).
Later the firm was converted into a Limited liability company.

Our reference: A1590

Internal Ref: A1590



Declaration

This item is antique. The date of manufacture has been declared as 1870.


Dimensions

Height = 26 cm (10.2")
Width = 18 cm (7.1")
Depth = 13 cm (5.1")


Seller Details

Regent Antiques
Manor Warehouse
318 Green Lanes
London
N4 1BX
United Kingdom
Tel:

International Tel:

https://www.regentantiques.com/


Email seller about this item:


Link to this item

Similar antiques ... view more