Sellingantiques.co.uk Logo
 1,830 visitors today 0 antiques added today
FOR SALE
ITEM # 
SA659859

Serpentine Fronted Pedestal Desk By Waring And Gillow

Price

£2,150 | $2,863 USD | €2,436 EUR
Item Number: SA659859
Date of manufacture: 1900
Current Status: For sale
Seller: Camden Antiques
This antique has been viewed 47 times in the past month with the most views from the United Kingdom.

Description

A splendid mahogany serpentine fronted pedestal desk by the renowned firm of cabinet makers Waring and Gillow. Of excellent construction in solid mahogany, attractive flame mahogany veneers and solid mahogany drawer linings. The serpentine shaped top is fitted with a sumptuous brown leather writing surface complete with gilt tooled decoration to the surround. There is an arrangement of one long central drawer flanked by two sets of 4 graduated shorter drawers. All fitted with original solid brass hardware , with keys supplied. This desk is finished to the rear so could be free-standing within a room if desired. It has canted corners and paneled sides. Sympathetically refinished in our workshops and now offered for sale in excellent overall condition. With a great colour and patina , ready to go straight into the home or office. It breaks down into 3 sections for ease of installation.
Dimensions:
Width 137cms
Depth 71cms
Overall height 76cms
Knee-hole height 61cms
Waring and Gillow a potted history:
Waring & Gillow is a noted firm of English furniture manufacturers formed in 1897 by the merger of Gillow of Lancaster and Waring of Liverpool.
The firm of Gillow's of Lancaster can be traced back to the luxury furniture and furnishings firm founded by Robert Gillow (170472) in 1730. Robert Gillow served an apprenticeship as a joiner. During the 1730s he began to exploit the lucrative West Indies trade exporting mahogany furniture and importing rum and sugar. Following his death in 1772, the business was continued by his two sons, Richard (17341811) and Robert (174593). In 1764 a London branch of Gillow's was established at 176 Oxford Road, now Oxford Street, by Thomas Gillow and William Taylor. The firm rapidly established a reputation for supplying high-quality furniture to the richest families in the country.
During the final years of the 19th century the company ran into financial difficulty and from 1897 began a loose financial arrangement with Waring of Liverpool, an arrangement legally ratified by the establishment of Waring & Gillow in 1903. Waring's of Liverpool was founded by John Waring, who arrived in the city from Belfast in 1835 and established a wholesale cabinet making business. He was succeeded by his son Samuel James Waring who rapidly expanded the business during the 1880s, furnishing hotels and public buildings throughout Europe. He also founded Waring-White Building Company which built the Liverpool Corn Exchange, Selfridge's department store and the Ritz Hotel. Samuel James's son and namesake Samuel James Waring (1860-1940) continued the family business and was elevated to the peerage as Baron Waring in 1922.
Gillow's had established a reputation for the outfitting of luxury yachts and liners, including the royal yacht Victoria and Albert, liners Lusitania, Heliopolis and Cairo, Queen Mary (1936) and Queen Elizabeth (1940) for Cunard. During the First World War the Lancaster factory was turned over to war production, making ammunition chests for the Navy and propellers for De Havilland DH9 aircraft. They also established a large tent-manufacturing facility of 8,000 workers during WW1 on the now closed former exhibition site at White City (the former Machinery Hall). They also made gas masks and trench covers from this site.During this time it was also at the White City site that the Workers Union first got recognition after a four-day strike mainly by women. The company also manufactured ammunition belts for use with machine guns, nosebags for horses and protective clothing for use during gas attacks.
During World War II the factory produced parts for gliders and the Mosquito aircraft, while kit-bags, tents and camouflage nets were made by the upholstery department.
However, the business of the firm began to decline and the Lancaster workshops closed on 31 March 1962. In 1980 Waring and Gillow joined with the cabinet-making firm Maple & Co, to become Maple, Waring & Gillow.
Internal Ref: 717



Declaration

This item is antique. The date of manufacture has been declared as 1900.


Dimensions

Height = 76 cm (29.9")
Width = 137 cm (53.9")
Depth = 71 cm (28.0")


Seller Details

Camden Antiques
Units 20 & 19
The Vinery
Poling
West Sussex
BN18 9PY
United Kingdom
Tel:

International Tel:

www.camdenantiques.co.uk/


Purchase now

Camden Antiques accept online payments for this antique:


Email seller about this item:


Link to this item