Sellingantiques.co.uk Logo
 23,413 visitors today 186 antiques added today
english school 18th centurya prospect of croome court warwickshire

FOR SALE
ITEM # 
SA575415

English School 18th, Century a Prospect Of Croome Court, Warwickshire

Price

£4,500 | $5,992 USD | €5,099 EUR
Item Number: SA575415
Date of manufacture: 18th Century
Current Status: For sale
Seller: Artware Fineart
This antique has been viewed 15 times in the past month with the most views from Denmark.

Description

English School 18/19th, Century
A Prospect of Croome Court, Warwickshire
Signed/Inscribed:
on a label on the reverse 'Croome Court Warwickshire former home of the Earls of Coventry'.
oil on panel
48 x 65 cm. (19 x 26 in.)
Croome Court is a mid-18th century neo-Palladian mansion surrounded by extensive landscaped parkland at Croome D'Abitot, near Pershore in south Worcestershire, England. The mansion and park were designed by Lancelot "Capability" Brown for the 6th Earl of Coventry, and were Brown's first landscape design and first major architectural project. Some of the mansion's rooms were designed by Robert Adam.
The mansion house is owned by Croome Heritage Trust, and is leased to the National Trust which operates it as a tourist attraction. The National Trust owns the surrounding parkland, which is also open to the public.
The foundations and core of Croome Court, including the central chimney stack structure, date back to the early 1640s.Substantial changes to this early house were made by Gilbert Coventry, 4th Earl of Coventry.
George Coventry, the 6th Earl, inherited the estate in 1751, along with the existing Jacobean house. He commissioned Lancelot "Capability" Brown, with the assistance of Sanderson Miller, to redesign the house and estate. It was Brown's "first flight into the realms of architecture" and a "rare example of his architectural work", and it is an important and seminal work. It was built between 1751 and 1752, and it and Hagley Hall are considered to be the finest examples of Neo-Palladian architecture in Worcestershire. Notable Neo-Palladian features incorporated into Croome Court include the plain exterior and the corner towers with pyramidal roofs (a feature first used by Inigo Jones in the design of Wilton House in Wiltshire). Robert Adam worked on the interior of the building from 1760 onwards.
The house was visited by George III, as well as by Queen Victoria during summers when she was a child, and George V (when Duke of York).
A jam factory was built near Pershore railway station by the 9th Earl of Coventry in about 1880, to provide a market for Vale of Evesham fruit growers in times of surplus. Although the Croome connection with jam-making had ceased, the building was leased by the Croome Estate Trust during the First World War to the Huddersfield Fruit Preserving Company as a pulping station.
The First World War deeply affected Croome; there were many local casualties, although the house was not requisitioned for the war effort. This is possibly because it was the home of the Lord Lieutenant of the county, who needed a residence for his many official engagements.
Croome Court was requisitioned during the Second World War by the Ministry of Works, and leased for a year to the Dutch Government as a possible refuge for Queen Wilhelmina of the Netherlands to escape the Nazi occupation of the Netherlands. However, evidence shows that they stayed for two weeks at the most, perhaps because of the noise and fear created by the proximity of Defford Aerodrome. They later emigrated to Canada.
The Croome Estate Trust sold the Court in 1948, along with 38 acres (15 ha) of land, to the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Birmingham, and the mansion became St Joseph's Special School, which was run by nuns from 1950 until 1979.
The house was listed on 11 August 1952; it is currently Grade I listed.
In 1979, the hall was taken over by the International Society for Krishna Consciousness (Hare Krishna movement) which used it as its UK headquarters and a training college called Chaitanya College,run by 25 members of the movement. During their tenure they repainted the Dining Room. The ISKC had to leave the estate for financial reasons in 1984. It held a festival at the hall in 2011.
From 1984 onwards, various owners tried to use the property as a training centre; apartm
Internal Ref: 4018



Declaration

This item is antique. The date of manufacture has been declared as 18th Century.


Dimensions

Height = 48 cm (18.9")
Width = 65 cm (25.6")
Depth = 0.5 cm (0.2")


Seller Details

Artware Fineart
18 La Gare
51 Surrey Row
London
SE1 0BZ
United Kingdom
Tel:

International Tel:

www.artwarefineart.com


Email seller about this item:


Link to this item