Puckerings has dated this piece to the 1880s.
The box was a wedding gift in 1887 to Miss D. Pettiward at Finborough Hall.

The grounds were originally purchased by Roger Pettiward from Colonel William Wollaston MP. Roger Pettiward rebuilt Finborough Hall in 1795 to a design by Francis Sandy of Bury St Edmonds, who had also worked at Ickworth House).

Finborough Hall, due to its association with the Pettiward family, subsequently gave its name to Finborough Road in London, developed as part of the Pettiward Estate in north-west Chelsea, London SW10, still owned by the Pettiward family. This led to the name of Finborough Theatre.

The box is beautifully engraved with Ferns, very Victorian and very English. The reverse sides of the feet are struck with the English design registration diamond shaped lozenge, reserved for only fine quality pieces. The underside is also marked with the makers initials for the Sheffield silversmith, John Gilbert.
A truly beautiful box with great providence and in excellent condition. 7" max in diameter x 7 1/2" tall.
Item ID:39168
FREE Worldwide Registered Airmail Directly From London, England
Puckerings has dated this piece to the 1880s.
A quality online collection of fine english antique smalls with free worldwide shipping from london, england
You can view the stock and full dealer information on the Puckerings Profile Page