Puckerings has dated this piece to the 1870s.
The lid is secured with a brass catch to the front, and once opened reveals the compass signed Yeates & Son, Dublin, held by a detent which comes into play when the lid is closed. In full working order.

The Yeates family business "Instrument Makers and Opticians" first apeard in directories in 1790. The shop moved to 2 Grafton St, Dublin in 1827. The business became Yeates and Son "Instrument Makers and Opticians" in 1865 when Stephen Mitchell Yeats took over the business which his father George Mitchell Yeates had raised him in. The business advertised as "Instrument makers to the University". They claimed to specialize in scientific and educational instruments. The shop at 2 Grafton St was directly across the street from Trinity College in Dublin. It was the business from Trinity, which sustained the firm for so many years. In fact some of the scientific instruments made by Yeates and Son still exist today in Trinity College.
The dial of compass has a diameter measuring 1 1/4". Excellent condition.
Item ID: 34824
FREE Worldwide Registered Airmail Directly From London, England
Puckerings has dated this piece to the 1870s.
A quality online collection of fine english antique smalls with free worldwide shipping from london, england
You can view the stock and full dealer information on the Puckerings Profile Page